Bangoola was built c1905 by Paul Schreiterer, a German wool broker. He had arrived in Sydney in 1893, married an Australian woman in 1895, and by the time he built his house had a growing family of six children. The imposing Federation style house was built on a sloping double block facing Parriwi Road, with expansive views to the Harbour and Heads. The land went right through to Spit Road, and even into the 1920s the address was given as Spit rather than Parriwi Road.
During World War 1 anti-German sentiment was high, and the Schreiterers became victim to an attack during the early hours of 6 February 1917. A large gelignite bomb exploded in their basement, resulting in extensive damage to the front of the house, especially the cellar, verandah, and front rooms on the ground and first floors. Nobody was injured but valuable contents were destroyed, the total damage exceeding 200 Pounds. Police investigations and the offer of a reward failed to find the offenders. Despite this, the Schreiterers remained at the house until Paul’s death in 1939.
Soon after, in April 1940, Bangoola was advertised for sale. It was described as a two storey residence built of face brick on stone foundations with shingle roof. It featured a wide return verandah and balcony in front. There were six bedrooms and a maid’s room upstairs, plus sewing and music rooms, a bathroom with coloured tiles and Roman bath, and a shower area. The ground floor comprised a hall, porch, and lounge, dining, breakfast and smoking rooms, kitchen and laundry. Gas, water, sewer and electric light were connected, with a coke operated hot water service. The double block had an 80 foot frontage and depth of 328 feet. This was offered in one line, but if the house only was sold then the two rear blocks would be sold separately.
The sale was unsuccessful and Mrs Schreiterer, though by then living in Pymble, was still the owner in 1944, the house by then however known as Bangoola Private Hospital. In 1950 it was sold to Hilda G.M. Norman for 8,750 Pounds, and again in 1952 to Geraldine Lamberton for 10,500 Pounds, still described in Mosman Valuation Lists as being a private hospital. By this time two rear blocks of land had been sold, and are now numbers 167 and 167A Spit Road.
By 1958 consent was given for alterations to be made to the building which had reverted to a dwelling, it having previously been ‘let in lodgings’ but this use discontinued. Building applications were made by several owners over the following years: a swimming pool in 1967, carport and alterations in 1969, more alterations and a garage in 1981, a billiard room by 1979. When advertised for sale in November 1977 changes to the internal arrangements are clear, with fewer (now five) bedrooms and more (now four) bathrooms, gourmet kitchen, pool and cabana etc. In December 1978 it was again advertised for sale, for $250,000, having been ‘totally lavishly refurbished’, then again in March 1979.
In 1986 the owner was Dimah Developments, and in August that year application was made for the erection of eight residential apartments. The grand old house Bangoola was demolished. By October 1988 apartments in the ‘Parriwi’ complex , stepped up the hill from Parriwi Road, were being advertised for sale, luxury designer units with the most modern features available and, of course, breathtaking panoramic harbour views.
Caroline Simpson Library, HHT, Record no. 32518.
Mosman Council building applications.
Mosman Council DCA 241/86.
Mosman Council valuation lists.
Sydney Morning Herald, 8 January 1917, 13 April 1940, 15 November 1977, 9 December 1978, 22 October 1988.
Bangoola in 1912 (Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales)
16 Parriwi Road in 2016 (Phillipa Morris)