(W. Harding, 1982, Mosman Library)
In 1914 Miss Leila Logan established Lillingstone School in her house at 57 Muston Street, Mosman. There was a timber school hall in the back garden. The 1st Mosman Guides (the first such group in Australia) were in 1923 given a portion of Rawson Park for their outdoor activities. To celebrate they planted two palms close to Middle Head Road. The Guides continued to meet at Lillingstone School Hall, until 1933 when they set up their own clubrooms at 14 Bond Street. At this time 2nd Mosman Scouts took over the land at Middle Head.
The Lillingstone School closed in 1933 and the following year the hall was sold to 2nd Mosman Scouts and relocated to their clubhouse at Middle Head. Later taken over by 5th Mosman Scouts, the clubhouse was for many years the headquarters of the scouts, cubs and rovers, plus 1st Cremorne Guides (later named 1st Middle Head Guides) and two Brownie packs. The hall was altered several times during this period.
By 2005 the hall had been abandoned by the scouts and guides and the building was neglected, vandalised and dilapidated.
The clubhouse was demolished in January 2006 as part of the redevelopment of the Markham Close housing estate. One of the palms planted by the guides is still visible in the Middle Head Road front garden of the new house built on the site.
Pam Lofthouse, Historical Research Report, 10 Markham Close Mosman, 2005 and supplementary report, 2006. Both are in the Mosman Library.